Tuesday, August 30, 2011
My First Blog
I think technology can be used as a great tool to enhance student learning in the classroom. However, I am both technologically impaired and old-fashioned. The idea of using a lot of technology in my classroom when I become a teacher worries me, especially because I plan on teaching young children. I read about an elementary school teacher who did not allow any handwriting in his class; everything was to be typed. His doing away with handwritten work, to me seems to put his students at a disadvantage. I recognize that in today's world technology is ever-evolving, and children now-a-days are quite tech savvy, but I worry that over-using technology in class puts students at a disadvantage. I hope to learn to use technology in class in a way that enhances learning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Camille,
ReplyDeleteI respect the fact that you do recognize that you technology is not your strong suit. I think that the fact that you are recognizing this that you can focus on improving you technology knowledge so that this will not an area that you are lacking in. I also believe that you will have a nice balance in your classroom because you recognize that the teacher that did not allow hand writing in his class was a bad thing and it was hurting his students in the long run. :D
-Cassie
I agree with you that if students become fully dependent on technology they will be at a disadvantage. I also share the same fear of overusing technology in the classroom. It is just as important to teach the students how to do things by hand as it is to teach them how to use the technology that is available. This is why I believe that one of the hardest parts of teaching would be to find the balance between too much or not enough technology in the classroom.
ReplyDeletePedro
How sad!! Those poor students who lost the magic of writing. Yes, technology can be an amazing tool, but it needs to be molded and formed in the system, not just take it over. The written word contains a majestic entity that can not be replaced. ~JoDee
ReplyDeleteI think there is a fine line between too much and too little technology. This teacher forced too much technology on the students. Students need to learn basic skills first and then use technology to enhance what they already know.
ReplyDeleteI agree that old-fashion ways of learning like handwritten work should still be something that future students need, but we as future educators need to incorporate both technology and old-fashion ways in the classroom.
ReplyDeleteI think it would be interesting to find out the reason behind the teacher doing away with handwriting. I also agree with many of the other comments that there is a fine line between too much and too little technology in the classroom. You might be surprised with yourself on how you could integrate technology into your classroom without being overwhelmed.
ReplyDeleteDoing away with handwritten work is terrible! I think balance is key. Sure, students probably shouldn't hand write a 10 page paper, but day-to-day assignments? How else could students learn penmanship?
ReplyDelete